What is an Instagram story? Well, if you use Snapchat, it’s basically the same concept. It shows an image or video for a few seconds at a time.
Why is it so important to use instagram stories? Instagram’s algorithm is pretty lame. Basically, they made it super hard for anyone to really see your posts. Instagram stories will help announce to your followers that you’ve posted something new so they visit your profile to check it out. It also helps bloggers announce new blog posts and shop owners to share their latest products.
Now when you visit someone’s Instagram profile, you can see categories below their profile bio. These are the highlights that they’ve posted. I created my own when the option first appeared, but I have since updated them and wanted to share with you the tutorial I used.
You won’t believe how easy it is! I used the tutorial from Kayla at LostGenyGirl.com.
As you can see in my profile screenshot, my icons are glittery. I did this using PicMonkey. PicMonkey is a paid service, but you can sign up for a free 7 day trial to make yours or use other websites such as Pixlr.
Here’s what I did.
1. Choose an icon you wish to use. I used FlatIcon to find mine. Make sure the icon is black or the next few steps will not work.
2. Open PicMonkey. Select the butterfly in the left hand corner. Select “Add Your Own” and choose a file from your computer.
3. Once the image is open, select “Add Your Own” again and open the image you want to overlay on your icon. It will appear over your previous image.
4. Where is says “Blend Modes” in the “Overlay” box to the right, open the dropdown menu and select “Add”. This will combine both images together.
5. Select “Export” on the top of the page and save as a .PNG file. This will leave a transparent background to your icon. Upload your icon to Canva and follow the steps to the tutorial.
That’s it! You can create and customize your own Instagram story highlight covers in very little time and for free!