I thought it would be fun to make my own lantern after seeing different kinds being sold online. I loved the look of the DIY lanterns I came across, but I also liked the terrariums I saw as well. I thought it would be fun to make one myself and kind of incorporate a little of both.
I seriously kept adding this project to my to-do list and had it on my content calendar for the blog for a while, too, but I kept taking it off because I just didn’t have the time. After going over exactly what I wanted it to look like, I headed to my local dollar store.
I liked the idea to not include the glass and after trying to find the right picture frames for the top to make it more like a terrarium without any luck, I improvised and used two frames to form the top. Want to make one yourself? Follow the directions below!
What You’ll Need:
- 6 Picture Frames (Use any size you prefer. I used 5″x7″)
- A Glue Gun
- Needle Nose Pliers
In the image below, you’ll see the steps that I took to create this simple shape.
- I removed the backing and other materials from six picture frames to have just the frames themselves.
- I removed the metal pieces that held the backing in because I wouldn’t need them. I really didn’t like the fact that they could be seen. You could easily leave these in if it doesn’t bother you that they will be visible.
- Using a glue gun, glue four of the frames together to create a box. I opted to have the frames in a horizontal position because I didn’t want my lantern to be too tall.
- Gently separate each side to the other two frames.
- Use the pieces to create the top part of the lantern by gluing one end to each corner and the other to the top to create a point.
This was a relatively easy project and took about a half hour to complete. I wasn’t sure exactlly what to uses to style this lantern/terrarium when I was finished so I tried three different looks.
I’m pretty partial to the look with the Rae Dunn piece to it, but who wouldn’t right?
What’s your favorite look? Share your thoughts in the comments!